Zirconia Crowns: A Solid Choice for Strong and Reliable Restorations
Are you in need of a dental crown to restore a worn-down, cracked, or chipped tooth? Look no further than the durable and reliable option of zirconia crowns. These crowns are crafted from a high-quality material known for its exceptional strength and natural appearance. Also, 98% of zirconia crowns last for five years or more, making them a great choice for anyone needing dental restoration.
What is a zirconia crown?
A zirconia crown is a dental restoration made from a solid ceramic glaze called zirconia. It is a material that combines the strength of metal with the natural appearance of porcelain, making it an excellent choice for dental crowns. These crowns are continuously evolving and being refined to enhance their performance and aesthetics.
Patients and dentists alike prefer the use of zirconia crowns over other options, and here’s why.
- Natural Appearance: Zirconia crowns closely resemble the color of natural teeth, ensuring a seamless and aesthetically pleasing restoration.
- Durability: Known for their exceptional strength, zirconia crowns are highly resistant to wear and can withstand the forces of daily chewing and biting.
- Minimal Tooth Preparation: Unlike other materials, crowns made from zirconia require less tooth preparation, allowing for a more conservative approach. This means your dentist can shape and fit the crown in a single appointment, saving you time and reducing discomfort.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: Zirconia can be layered with porcelain, enhancing its tooth-like appearance. This layering technique provides beautiful translucency and depth, mimicking the natural characteristics of real teeth.
- Versatile Bonding Options: These crowns can be bonded or cemented to your tooth, offering flexibility in treatment options.
- Biocompatibility: Zirconia is biocompatible, making it an excellent choice for people who are allergy-sensitive.
Zirconia vs. e.max Crowns: Understanding the Differences
When it comes to choosing the right dental crown for your needs, it’s essential to consider all options. While zirconia crowns offer exceptional strength and natural aesthetics, another great choice is e.max crowns.
Both types can restore broken, decayed, missing, discolored, or crooked teeth.
Zirconia crowns are incredibly strong, with a strength of 800-1200 megapascals (MPa), thanks to their crystalline powder composition. On the other hand, e.max crowns, made of lithium disilicate ceramic, have a strength of 380-400 MPa. Both types of crowns are durable and can handle normal wear and tear. However, zirconia crowns are renowned for their exceptional longevity, making them an excellent choice for long-lasting dental restorations.
Zirconia crowns closely mimic the natural appearance of teeth, with various shades and slight translucency. However, e.max crowns take aesthetics a step further with their enhanced translucency, providing the best match for surrounding natural teeth. E.max crowns achieve a lifelike appearance without needing additional staining or a metal alloy base, making them an excellent choice for those seeking an inconspicuous restorative dentistry solution.
Both e.max and zirconia crowns effectively improve the appearance of disfigured or stained teeth. However, thanks to their superior strength, zirconia crowns are especially recommended for patients who grind their teeth. Zirconia crowns are also ideal for areas of the bite that require extra durability. On the other hand, while e.max crowns have various applications, they are rarely used for making partial crowns.
When to Consider Zirconia Crowns
When choosing the right dental crown material, zirconia crowns offer several compelling reasons to consider them. And while your dentist at Oxley Comprehensive Dentistry will assess your personal situation to determine the best restorative dentistry solution, it’s important to note that zirconia crowns provide exceptional strength and durability while maintaining a natural and aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Let’s explore specific situations where zirconia crowns are the preferred choice.
- Patients Seeking Long-Lasting Restorations: Zirconia crowns are known for their outstanding durability, making them an ideal option for individuals looking for a restoration that can withstand the test of time.
- Individuals with Bruxism: Zirconia crowns are highly resistant to wear and can handle the excessive forces caused by teeth grinding or clenching, making them a suitable choice for patients with bruxism.
- Patients with Metal Allergies or Sensitivities: Zirconia is a biocompatible material, meaning it is less likely to cause adverse reactions or allergies in individuals with metal sensitivities. Zirconia crowns provide a safe and reliable alternative for patients who cannot tolerate metal-based restorations.
- For Those Seeking Optimal Aesthetics: Zirconia crowns closely resemble teeth’s natural color and translucency, providing a seamless and natural-looking smile. They are an excellent choice for patients who prioritize aesthetics and want a restoration that blends seamlessly with their natural teeth.
- Individuals Requiring Large Restorations: Zirconia crowns offer excellent strength and stability, making them suitable for more extensive restorations that require extra support and durability.
Zirconia crowns are the best choice for restoring damaged or missing teeth.
Zirconia crowns are a solid choice for durable and reliable dental restorations. With their exceptional strength, natural aesthetics, and various applications, zirconia crowns offer lasting solutions for patients seeking to restore damaged or missing teeth. Don’t delay seeking treatment for tooth decay or other dental issues, as untreated conditions can lead to more significant problems over time.
Request an appointment with Oxley Comprehensive Dental today to ensure your oral health and regain your confident smile.